Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Words.

So yesterday I started this book called Love is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield. It is a memoir about music and his wife who died. They got married when they were 25 and both knew they were crazy, because who gets married that young right? Wrong, obviously. More and more people are getting married younger lately, even people who aren't from Utah (surprisingly). I haven't had a lot of personal experience with people telling me that getting married so young was a mistake, but I do know that some of my friends have had this problem. I found this little section in my book, when the couple were deciding to get married and kinda just wanted to share it. Mr. Sheffield and his little wifey had a good way of sticking it to the man.

"We were just a couple of fallen angels, rolling the dice of our lives. We'd heard all the horror stories of early marriages and fast divorces and broken hearts. But we knew none of them would happen to us, because as Dexy's Midnight Runners sang to Eileen, we were far too young and clever. What if we just decide not to fall apart? What if we decide not to wait and see what happens, but instead decide what we want to happen and then decide how to make it happen? Like Burt Reynolds says to Jerry Reed in Smokey and the Bandit, 'We ain't never not made it before, have we?'"

No comments:

Post a Comment