Monday, April 11, 2016

six years later.

Today is the anniversary of something randomly wonderful for me, something that I feel like needs a blog post dedicated to it. I can't even write this post without getting sentimental and making the whole experience seem like a bigger deal than it probably is to most people, so sorry in advance for making it sound like the most magical thing in the world.

Six years ago today I had my first day of work at the movie theater. It was meant to be just a second summer job, something else to occupy my time in addition to my library shifts and help me earn extra money to put toward a new car. By the end of my first shift, I could tell that not only was it going to be a super fun second job, but also that it was probably going to change my life somehow.

It was so much fun working with as many people as I did, and meeting a whole new group of people my own age. I made a lot of friends quickly, and developed a strong friend base that I hung out with the good majority of that summer and fall. The job allowed me to develop a life  outside of campus life, and start fresh with new people, which allowed me to be myself and not feel like I didn't live up to the standard of "good enough" which is how I felt during the school year. I fit right in at the theater, and being myself was good enough.

The environment at the theater was loud and crazy compared to the nice quiet that I had at the library every day, and I loved it. We were a well-oiled machine that got to hang out with friends (each other) in between sets, and have free popcorn and soda as often as we wanted. And free movies was a perk too. I went to movies all the time with my new friends, and felt so at home. It was like a tiny piece of my heart had been saved for me there, and I got it back when I started the job.

That summer at the movie theater led to some of the worst, and the best times of my life. It was supposed to be a four-month job, but I ended up being there for sixteen months. Without the theater, I wouldn't have figured out what I wanted to do with my life. I probably would still be struggling through a Spanish Ed. degree, hating life. Without the theater, I wouldn't have met Brandon, and I don't even need to go in detail about what a wonderful thing that is.

To sum it up, I just am really grateful for the start of a super important time in my life. I think back on those days a lot, and I honestly am not sure where I would be without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment