Friday, August 31, 2012

First Week.

All I can really say is thank goodness it's finally over. Has this week been incredibly long for anyone else?

Nevertheless, it has been a productive one. School, work, work, school, cleaning, watching Boy Meets World for countless hours...Okay that last one might not actually count, but speeding through 22 episodes of Boy Meets World in four days seems like an accomplishment to me!

Brandon is busy with 14 credits of school, and I just added another class today to put me at 15 credits. Brandon is taking International Business, Labor Relations, Finance, Operations Management, and Fundamentals of Marketing. Mondays he only has one class so it is super nice for him. He goes to class at 7:30 and then goes to work for the rest of the day! Tuesdays and Thursdays are his awful days. He has class at 7:30, then a class at 10:30, then he has a three hour break and comes back for one more class at 3:00. It's a pain for him to have to drive out to work and back, but he is done by 4:15 those days so it is really nice! Wednesdays he has a 7:30 class, then a class at 4:00, and then he is done by about 5:30, and Fridays he doesn't have any classes! His plan is to go to work at 7:00 every Friday which is fine, except its going to cause some early Friday nights for us. Let's get real though, we would go to bed early regardless of when we wake up.

Because Brandon has class at 7:30 everyday and I had to work at 7:00 twice this week, I got up early with him every day. It was kind of nice to get up and go for a run on the days that I didn't have class until 8:30, but those days are over, sadly enough. I made the decision yesterday to finish a psychology minor, so I had to add another class to my load this semester to not fall too far behind.

 Some of you may have known, but my original plan was to teach Spanish at a high school level. Even though I no longer have a strong desire to teach, I still really want to work with adolescents. I though about doing clinical therapy with adolescents with depression/anxiety, but I'm not sure I would be strong enough to do it. I am currently in a class called Pre-Practicum, which is supposed to help us prepare for the internship that is part of my department's requirements. In this class, we were given a powerpoint on what is required for certain licensing after graduation and also for graduate programs. One of the graduate programs that was included in the powerpoint was high school counseling. I have decided that I am going to pursue that, because I would get to work with high school students, and will most likely be able to do a bit of therapy. Well, in order to apply to the grad program here at Utah State, there are two psychology classes that are required as prereqs. If I were to take those two classes now, I would only need two more classes to fulfill the requirements for a Psychology minor. Because I am not entirely concrete in my plans after graduation, I decided that it is better to be prepared now than have to go back and take courses later.

So, I added a class this semester, putting me at just five classes, will be taking five classes next semester, two classes in the summer, and two classes next fall along with my practicum that requires 300 hours in the 14 week period. Cool, right? This semester I am taking Family Crises and Intervention, Spanish Literature (did I mention I am finishing my Spanish minor too? Only one more class after this one!), Research Methods, Pre-Practicum, and Families and Social Policy. I actually think I am going to love my classes! Yesterday and today have been super stressful though trying to figure out what I wanted to do about grad school. Lucky for me, we are leaving in about an hour to head to Boise!

I am so excited to see my parents new house! We were there about a month ago and it was mostly done, but I am ready to see the finished product! I am happy that this weekend is a long one and that we get two full days with my family, because they are the best.

Not much else has happened this week. We showed some school spirit and went to the football game last night, Sophie caught a dragonfly in midair a few nights ago, and I made Brandon watch the movie Serendipity with me last night. He loved it, but don't tell him I told you :)

Here are some pictures, since the last two posts haven't really had any.

We made caramel-chocolate-butterscotch covered pretzels for a Harry Potter Party!
Magic Wand Pretzels!

So pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment